All Legal and Registered!


I’m so happy to report that all our hogs are now registered in our farm name and up to date!  Even our spring litters!  Oh, what a crazy little pathway!  If you’ve never dealt with registered animals, whether it be dogs, cats, horses or other livestock, it can be a little bit of a challenge.  Stuff happens!  Like when you loose your transfer certificate from a buyer and just KNOW you put it somewhere safe and it takes you several months to find the darn thing!  (Ebony)  And when you buy a hog from someone and they say it’s registered, but then you find out they haven’t transfered it and you have to do some investigating and lots of emails and calls to get it all straightened out and finally transferred!  (Onyx)  Or you just run out of money because every animal takes $10 to $20 to finalize all the transfer paperwork and litter registration forms and all that jazz…  (Cheyenne)

Some buyers of your hogs are not interested in the registration process.  They are buying for meat or just really don’t care about registration.  That’s fine.  I totally understand.  It’s a little bit of a challenge to keep it all straight.   We don’t do this for our sheep because we just have a mixed bag of various animals.  We have a couple sheep and goats that are actually registered, but most are not.  That’s fine, because sheep are not endangered, at least not Shetlands and such, and we are mostly interested in fiber not showing or that sort of thing.

With the American Guinea Hogs, we are helping to reestablish an endangered breed and support of the national organization as well as the registration and tracking of animals is important.  I feel it is, because you want to improve the breed and help to preserve it.  Making sure that your breeding animals are not too inbred brings new genetic dynamics into play and keeps the breed healthy.  It’s why we drove to Kentucky to pick up a Minnesota bred boar!  And it’s why I’ve driving tomorrow half a state away to deliver one of our boar piglets to a new hog family from near Pennsylvania.  We conferred, shared pedigrees and determined that our piglet would do well with their young gilts!  It’s a good thing!

Well, just happy to report that ALL the paperwork is done!  Until our fall litters, everything is finally up to date, recorded, transfered and registered!

And we still have five piglets left from our two spring litters!  They are going fast!  Two males and three females.

Contact me at: if you are interested…  Very reasonably priced.  $150 gilts, $125 shoats…  They are almost 10 weeks old now.


Pin It

Thursday Evening Stroll…

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Every day, even on busy inside work days, I try and get out, stroll about the estate and visit all the critters and such.  It’s my most favorite time of the day.  Maggie is in charge of feeding and daily maintenance of the livestock collection, but I try and help out and certainly, am the chief treat lady!  Just a few pictures from this evening’s stroll.  Everyone is doing nicely, enjoying this late summer weather and just being themselves!  The piglets are doing great and another piglet is going to his new forever home on Sunday!  We’re down to only 5 piglets left!  I think we are going to raise a few for freezer camp, but you just never know!  Just a lovely little photo journey!

Pin It

New Old Spinning Wheel…


My friend Mary sold me this old antique spinning wheel for a song.  I’m not sure if that is good or bad, because old spinning wheels can be SUCH CRANKY things!  I think it’s good, however, because my little woodcrafter Maggie has offered to clean it up and fix the broken bits for me.  I really don’t think it will be a production wheel for us, but I think it will be a nice example of old castle spinning wheels and will be useful if I start to offer workshops on fiber prep and spinning and such!  That would be nice.


I think as an artist in a field of ancient skills such as spinning and weaving, you are gifted with a lot of wonderful old artifacts of the times…  Folks expect you to be able to just plop down and start working on these things, but truth be told, some were made only for show.  Or for very specific tasks and are just hard to work into your new routines.  However, that doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate them and adore these elder tools of our new found craft.  I love the feel and patina of these antiques.  I can imagine them being used a hundred years ago, by some young woman learning to spin or her elderly grandmother helping out the family with warm yarn for sweaters and caps.  It’s a part of our whole human experience and I just adore thinking about what these old wheels and looms have lived through!


I’m sure that it will be a while before this little wheel gets her time to be worked on because Maggie is very busy with her new company, making fiber art tools and such.  But winter is coming and it’s a great time to work on these little projects.   We decided to call her Aurora, after Sleeping Beauty!  This wheel is called a castle wheel and might have had a distaff, which is where the princess Aurora is said to prick her finger and fall into her 100 year sleep!  We like it.  Yes, we name all our antique tools.  We feel they have a life.  And it’s easier for us to identify each one instead of saying things like, “Oh, the spinning wheel, no, the old one, no, the castle upright old one, yeah, that one… ”  haha…  Everyone knows Queenie, Harold, Rosie, Ikea and Gracie.   Now, we have Aurora.  :-)

Related Posts with ThumbnailsPin It