My name is Sherri, and I am a single mom, raising my two daughters on our rehab mobile home that I bought for $800. Into a lot of neat things, such as graphics arts, bluegrass, homeschooling and working from home as well as gardening and urban homesteading… Read along and learn more about us!
This is me when I first got my current banjo… a Stelling Bellflower… about oh 7 years ago. Wow. Hard to believe it’s been 7 years since I got back into bluegrass!
Here’s a List of Our Band Videos…. Click And Visit
101 Things About Me…
I’ve seen these lists online, and well, I love lists and I thought it would be interesting to compile one about myself and see who I really am. Here goes nothing… it might take me awhile, but I’ll give it a try.
1. I was born in Falls Church, Virginia on the day of John F. Kennedy’s funeral.
2. I am a Sagittarius but I don’t hold a lot of faith in that stuff.
3. I’m a huge fan of positive thinking.
4. I think I’ve done quite a bit in my life and I think I’ll do quite a bit more.
5. I love the color purple.
6. I am a graphic designer, web designer, photographer, artist, musician and good all purpose crafty person.
7. Overall, I’m a very content person.
8. I think I’m a pretty loyal, moral and honest person.
9. Sometimes I hold grudges a teeny bit. But I’m trying to get over that. Really, I am.
10. I wear my heart on my sleeve.
11. My emotions are very easy to read by my friends.
12. I like to take naps.
13. Reading is very important to me.
14. I don’t have a lot of family ties really.
15. I have two wonderful, beautiful and amazing daughters.
16. I was married for 17 years.
17. I lived in San Diego for 3 years.
18. I lived in Pontiac, Utica, Farmington Hills, Novi and Berkley, Michigan. Not all at once.
19. I lived in Toledo, then Perrysburg, Ohio and then moved out of state and moved back to Toledo.
20. I plan to die in Toledo. (But hopefully not too soon.)
21. I love to play the banjo. 5 string, bluegrass thank you very much.
22. I think my favorite bluegrass folks are Del McCoury and his boys, Blue Highway and Ronnie Bowman.
23. I’m very proud of founding the Glass City Opry with two of my best friends.
24. I really like dogs, chickens and horses and ponies.
25. I love to garden and was thinking about being a Master Gardener and taking the test awhile back. But I didn’t, and that’s okay.
26. I’ve playing in two bluegrass bands in my life. Fulton County and Deepwater.
27. I really like writing songs and I think I’m not too bad at it, when I write with my co-writer partner. By myself, I’m a little rough at it.
28. I’m really really involved in bluegrass, probably too much.
29. I love peaches and home grown strawberries. Oh yeah, and home grown tomatoes and sweet peppers, too.
30. I would eat too much potato salad if I was allowed to.
31. I am a Pepsi addict.
32. I love my Taurus station wagon.
33. I like to do crafts… knit, crochet, quilt, bead, hook rugs, watercolor, make soap, make candles and scrapbook. However, I don’t seem to leave enough time in my life to much of them. But soon… someday, I’ll be able to.
34. I have been working on my own, as an entrepreneur for 16 years now.
35. I helped design the Ford Motor Company’s ECPL Lockout program and I have a letter to prove it.
36. I have been in graphic arts since I was 15. (Which means over 30 years now…)
37. I used to play Dungeons and Dragons… a lot. Yep. I was even a dungeon master, or well, mistress. Hahaha… don’t beat me up.
38. I was a real nerd in school.
39. I own a pair of gerbils right now. As an adult. Yep. Lester and Earl.
40. I love my old lady Belgian Sheep Dog…. Johnsondale’s Shadow Dancer… lovely old sweetie Gypsy to me and you.
41. I showed Gypsy as a young dog and we even won a Best of Breed once at a show!
42. I worked at a horse stable as a teenager and absolutely adored it.
43. I want a hobby farm soon, before I die. And before I’m too old to take care of and enjoy it.
44. I won an award from the Detroit Zoo for a ink drawing of two Imperial cranes that I entered in a school contest about 13 years of age.
45. I have a daughter with Autism.
46. I have a bum knee with arthritis in it.
47. I could definitely loose a good deal of weight and be a healthier person. I’m working on it.
48. I had Grave’s Disease as a young woman and its in remission. (It’s a thyroid disorder.)
49. I love writing and have written one and half unpublished novels… 4 or 5 published articles and a bunch of free newsletters and such.
40. I run over 60 websites. And own a small publishing company with my daughter and a BMI music publishing company with a partner, too.
51. I am not a morning person, but I try to be a lot and it usually messes me up.
52. I must admit, one of my most favorite movies of all time is Lawrence of Arabia.
53. I read several biographies of T. E. Lawrence as a teenager and several of his own books.
54. I watched the wide screen remastered L of A 8 times and an old movie theater in San Diego with my friend Tony when I was expecting my first child. (Thank goodness for the intermission and the fact that we would go on weird times of the day and there was not a long line in the ladies room! hahaha)
55. I set a field on fire once as a youngster and thought I was going to be sent to jail if they ever found out. (I was super sorry and I think that I nearly died inside from the guilt.)
56. I hate divorce.
57. I am a Christian, and I believe in the Lord but I’m not a regular church goer. Maybe someday.
58. I do believe that God has a special purpose for each of us and that we do not always know why or how the mysteries of our lives will unfold. I don’t believe that life is just a random string of events.
59. I used to be a lot more negative and depressed about life in general. But not anymore. And never again.
60. I’d like to go to Great Britain some day and travel around for at least a month and go to all the countries there.
61. I adore Celtic music but I can’t listen to it over and over.
62. If I just had to pick on looks alone, I prefer dark haired men over light haired men.
63. I much more at home with men friends then women friends.
64. In fact, I really don’t have a lot of women friends. Just a few. You know who you are…
65. I’m secretly jealous of those women that have super close girlfriends.
66. I’m probably a bit too sarcastic at times for some people.
67. My sense of humor can be a little weird at times and probably most people don’t get it. Some do. You know who you are.
68. I am too generous for the most part.
69. My generosity gets me in trouble often and I go without. But not for long.
70. I have a super close friend that I’ve never met in person. She’s my daily companion in life and we share our lives and jobs and loves and fears and all that stuff.
71. I wish I had someone to learn how to ballroom dance with.
72. I know every pot has a lid, but sometimes I’m afraid that at this point of my life my true lid is off with the wrong pot and just wedged on that pot weird-like and stuck and will never find me.
73. I want a pony. Dappled grey and with a light mane and tail.
74. I really hate seafood. I’ll admit it. I’m not even much of a fan of fishsticks.
75. My favorite desert is strawberry shortcake.
76. I got 100% on the old SAT test where you had to deal with spacial situations and know how pieces of cubed things unfolded and what would fit where, etc.
77. As a result, I can pack cars, boxes, closets, etc, with amazing accuracy and very little wasted space.
78. In high school, I took a test that said I would make a good florist…. or an undertaker.
79. That scared me.
80. I homeschooled my children for almost their whole careers and my eldest got a 4.0 in her first semester at college! I guess I did something right all those years.
81. I love dangly earrings.
82. And I like silver over gold for the most part. Especially in jewelry.
83. I’d like a yurt someday.
84. I love Macs.
85. My favorite banjo in the world is a Stelling banjo.
86. I’m going to win the lottery some day. I am. I’m planning on it.
87. I prefer button up shirts to pull over shirts for myself.
88. I’d like to get to a point that I grow and store most of my families food including meat and eggs and such. (Just not wheat or sugar, etc.)
89. I really like margaritias. And Olive Garden. Or Pasta Fina too.
90. I love playing music in a band. It’s one of my most favorite things to do.
91. I like to read historical books about the Middle Ages and old Persia and the Middle East. India too. But not Oriental times.
92. I was a excellent wench in the SCA.
93. I’ve only romantically kissed 3 men in my life.
94. I met Bill Monroe before he died. (He’s the father of bluegrass music, you know.)
95. I love earthy and Raku style pottery.
96. I want to get back into making pottery.
97. I am a master procrastinator, but I always seem to make the deadline, but it’s right at the nick of time.
98. I wish I was better with money.
99. I wish I was better with exercise and all that jazz.
100. People think my graphic art design is pretty good. I think I’m fairly competent with it and enjoy using it to help myself and others.
101. I’m not afraid to die, but I hope it’s not painful and drawn out or anything. I’m not really wanting to go, but I’m not that worried about it, either. I think I’ve done a lot and laid a good foundation in my children and raised them up good and strong and have wonderful friends and family that will cherish my memory and miss me when I’m gone. What else can you want for this mortal life?